Monday 22 October 2012

Baby Steps

"Even when it's hard to move, take small steps forward.  Because every step will lead you farther away from where you were yesterday."



Confession Alert. I haven't been exactly sticking to my "strict schedule" from this post.
I've been doing well on the self-care train (yoga most days, eating well, taking supplements every day..)

It's the whole "getting back into studying" that was taking it's time.  Last week flew by - before I knew it I had packed my entire week with exchanges. (when I have a friend over for 60 minute massage, and in exchange they offer a treatment of their own - for example Reiki, Yoga, even food - my favourite!)

When I had realized what I'd done - left myself with zero study time - I made a pact with myself. No more exchanges. No more social anything. Just until after the weekend of November 17th.  OF course I will emerge from my study rock to partake in Halloween festivities this weekend! 

I even changed my facebook status. Totally serious now when you announce it like that :P

I am happy to announce that today was the day! I conquered a chapter (all about blood, if you're wondering!) and wow did it feel good to really get going!  I often catch myself - anxiety creeps up at the idea of having to "re-learn everything" but I am getting good at reminding myself to stay present.  This morning it was all about the blood and tomorrow the heart.  The title of today's blog is "Baby Steps" because that seems to be what is working best for me! And remembering to not be too hard on myself - give credit where credit is due.

Whenever I say "baby steps" it reminds me of one my favourite movies growing up "What About Bob"
Here is an exaggerated, silly, Bill Murray version of exactly what I've been talking about!

  
 "All I have to do is take one step at a time and I can do whatever I want!" heehee!
 
“Take that first step. Bravely overcoming one small fear gives you the courage to take on the next.” ~Daisaku Ikeda 

A Tiny Buddha story : 


This, I have realized, is one of the most effective ways to do anything that scares us: focus on one step at a time without dreading how we’ll feel later in the process.

If you put too much attention on things that could go wrong later, you limit your effectiveness right now. That’s not to say you shouldn’t plan to avoid potential problems. It’s just that if you function in a state of constant anxiety, it will eventually cripple you.  

Whatever it is you want to do, it doesn’t need to be this massive, overwhelming goal. Instead, think of it as a series of steps, some simpler than others, and commit to completing some every day.

Absorb yourself completely in each phase of the process, giving them your full attention, as if nothing else matters but what you’re doing right now—as if showing up for each part of the journey is in itself the goal.

It doesn’t matter if you’re on a hard path. It doesn’t matter if the odds are against you. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t making progress as quickly as someone else would.
All that matters is that you take a step, and keep taking them, even if you don’t know where they’re leading.

Jumping into something new can be terrifying. You never know for certain where you’re going to land until you get there. And it’s hard to silence your fears about just where that may be.
It’s okay to feel scared. Just know it doesn’t have to control you—not if you choose to focus on where you are, and put your heart into the step of this moment.
For years I told myself I wasn’t who I wanted to be because I felt so scared. I’ve since realized it’s not my fear of falling that defines me. It’s the fact that I’m willing to make the climb in spite of all the feelings it brings up.
What small, manageable step can you take today toward that thing you want that scares you?

No comments:

Post a Comment