Saturday 1 December 2012

Funny the Way it is

You know those songs you'll always love? This is one of mine by Dave Matthews Band 
I've always been a "lyrics appreciator"..especially his.

These lyrics in particular I feel have a Buddhist energy to them as he says "funny the way it is.. not right or wrong". It's just Life.  The way life goes. Amazing and beautiful things happen and tragedies and death happen all day everyday..

I believe Everything is energy and nothing is permanent (but our lovely human brains love to label and categorize everything don't they?) On a higher level, Everything just IS. And we can't control most of it. I've also been playing with the idea that nothing cannot exist without its opposite for example life and death, what is life without death? War & Peace.  What is dark? Not light...So you see, one cannot exist without the other (yin & yang) This way of thinking has relieved a lot of tension in my life as far as curbing those  tendencies to judge others, judge events, ideas, etc. There's room for all of it. All of us. My gosh imagine we all agreed on everything -why there would be no variety!  Who am I to say what is right or wrong..even with myself. For Christine 6 months from now may not . The only thing permanent is Change.

I could go on and on (I thought I was just coming on to post some lyrics! ha!) I know its quite the concept to wrap one's head around but I can dig it, and it just resonates with me..(right now in this moment!)

Enjoy this Live version!
 
 


Lying in the park on a beautiful day Sunshine in the grass, and the children play Siren’s passing, fire engine red Someone’s house is burning down on a day like this
The evening comes and we’re hanging out On the front step and a car rolls by with the windows rolled down And that war song is playing, “why can’t we be friends?” Someone is screaming and crying in the apartment upstairs

  Funny the way it is, if you think about it Somebody’s going hungry and someone else is eating out 
Funny the way it is, not right or wrong Somebody’s heart is broken and it becomes your favorite song
The way your mouth feels in your lovers kiss Like a pretty bird on a breeze or water to a fish A bomb blast brings a building crashing to the floor You hear the laughter while the children play war

 

Funny the way it is, if you think about it One kid walks 10 miles to school, another’s dropping out Funny the way it is, not right or wrong On a soldier’s last breath his baby’s being born
Standing on a bridge, watch the water passing under me It must’ve been much harder when there was no bridge just water Now the world is small, remember how it used to be With mountains and oceans and winters and rivers and stars


 Watch the sky, the jet planes, so far out of my reach Is there someone up there looking down on me? Boy chase a bird, so close but every time He’ll never catch her, but he can’t stop trying

 

Funny the way it is, if you think about it one kid walks 10 miles to school, another’s dropping out Funny the way it is, not right or wrong On a soldier’s last breath his baby’s being born Funny the way it is, not right or wrong Somebody’s broken heart becomes your favorite song Funny the way it is, if you think about it A kid walks 10 miles to school, another’s dropping out

Standing on a bridge, watch the water passing under me It must’ve been much harder when there was no bridge just water Now the world is small, remember how it used to be with mountains and oceans and winters and rivers and stars

No comments:

Post a Comment